- Need to break with a past media model.
- 'Media that work not through persuasion or impressions but through engagement and involvement. If we stick with the old [Mass Media] model, we squander all the possibilities of the new media ecosystem.' (Sutherland 2009)
Mass Media Strategy
- Relevant during the Lever days during the height of the Empire International trade. Imagery of Britannia and royalty suited all domestic and imperial markets.
- Required speaking to the masses, colour poster and soap for the masses..
- Global print campaigns, international exhibition prompted large-scale colour printing.
- High feeling strategy.
- Old transmission communication model. Transmit ideas to an audience.
New Media Model
- New cybernetic communication tool. Engage with an audience via computer mediated communication. Such as the internet and mobile phones.
- Cybernetics is the study of systems, it can be applied to any system such as mechanical, biological and more complex social systems.
- Shift from mass to My media, more targeted.
- Audience involvement: voluntarily passing, viewing ads (virals), or creating spoofs or filming events.
- More personalised.
- Internet biggest idea since the wheel, enables lots of small ideas to circulate.
- Digital media convergence opens up opportunities for creatives.
- Unpaid advertising.
- One distinction between old and new media.
- Two different types of viewings: Voluntary (video viewings online) and forced (TV or print.)
- Unpaid peer to peer communication of content originating from an unidentified sponsor using the internet to persuade or influence an audience to pass along the content to others.
- Examples of viral adverts are: Truth Matters Campaign,The Guardians 'Three Little Pigs', Invisible Children Campaign.
- Communication buzz, pre-testing propagation. Indicate surveys likelihood to pass on or recommend. Dependant on seeding, scale of placement.
- Audiences are actively managing media culture.
- YouTube ad of the year where the audience judges creativity. Departure from conventional advertising awards as the winner is chosen by the viewers.
The Third Screen
- Mobile phones will soon become the greatest tool for persuasion, more so than any other medium for advertising. It is the fastest growing market in the creative industries.
- The Kairos factor: the principle of presenting the desired message at the opportune moment.
- Mobile advertising will become the fastest growing promotional channel.