- Idea of doing art that is innovative or progressive.
- A group of people that are being innovative.
- Losing its currency/meaning.
- Two approaches to avant garde. Art for arts sake and social change progression.
- Innovation, experimentation, originality, creative genius.
Artists and Art
- Fauves - all self taught painters, attack on art, order and critics.
- Whistler, Nocturne in black and gold - beacon of aesthetic beauty, no politics, no engagement with the world, separation between artist and viewer.
Avant Garde in Russia
- Seen as a major problem as it runs the risk of being elitist.
- Stalin banned avant garde.
- Seeks qualities of art but fails for various reasons.