Friday 17 January 2014

OUGD601 Final Evaluation.

What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

Within this module there has been a great improvement to my written skills and I feel that I am now a lot more confident in writing academically. I feel that I have a lot more knowledge on how to structure my writing and also how to write more successfully. I have also gained improvement with finding necessary quotes and incorporating them into my own text, as at the start of this module it was still something I struggled with as I found it hard to pin point specific information within a book and use it to link to something I was focusing on. Within my practical work it has been good to explore further into packaging design, as it is something that I enjoy. I have also looked at it in a new light than I have done previously, as before it was more about the aesthetics rather than the message being conveyed. Whereas within this module incorporating the persuasive techniques has been something very necessary and integral to the project. I feel this is something that now I have a greater knowledge of I can pursue with future work.




What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?


This year I have taken on a primary research study and used my research to create a questionnaire that links everything I have taken on. To start with I found it difficult to structure and find questions that would provide relevant answers. Although by using the chapters as I guide I could highlight specific areas I needed to gain information from. For example age and gender demographics, psychographic knowledge on interest of the participants, their Internet usage patterns and also the needs that appealed to them. The marketing needs question was the most challenging as it was hard to word it so people would understand and they would find it something they could relate to. However once this was done the results I gained were very beneficial and influenced my practical. For example, initially I was intending to include a product that had environmental values, however after gathering my feedback it was found that this was something that no demographic was really interested in. Therefore it influenced me to not include it, as it appeared to be irrelevant.


What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?


I think a strength within this module has been the knowledge I have gained from research and writing. Before I started I had very little understanding of persuasive techniques and was only familiar with the basic ideas. However now I feel that I could explain confidently to someone Packard's theory of marketing’s eight hidden needs, market segmentation and the influence of the Internet on advertising as the study has really improved my knowledge on the subject. My practical also helped to cement this as I had to put what I had learnt into something physical that could help others to understand. How the persuasive techniques were applied also went well as I feel that they read realistically within the context and gave a clear message. The packaging also includes multiple techniques for different needs that I think work well together. I also think that the synthesis between my written and my practical is a strong aspect as I feel that the theory has been applied with success and it is clear to see it in action.


What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

One weakness would be that I haven’t exactly followed my initial Project Proposal. I stated that I would evaluate after each stage and also write a schedule; these are things that I haven’t done that could have possibly helped to make my work run more smoothly. I also feel that with my practical work even though I believe it has synthesised well additional pieces could have been added to create a larger body of work. This could have also been helped if I had had a stronger idea of what I was going to create as my idea changed a great deal and initially I struggled to think of something suitable. 
A weakness would be that I feel my blogging could have been to a higher standard as I feel I usually have a lot more information included in it. Although this could because in previous years the lectures have included academic information about specific subjects that I didn't know a great deal about and would be hard to remember without the notes. In contrast to this year when the information was more practical and could be easily accessed elsewhere.


Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to change from doing these?

1. Could have done some primary research into the products I made and take photos of current products on the market to look at how they have been displayed.
2. Photographed my products in an appropriate and relevant environment, to show how they would work within existing surroundings and point of sale.
3. Create a larger body of practical products extending to adverts and point of sale.
4. Do further primary research and interview people about what they would personally want from the products I created.
5. Resolved an idea for my practical at an earlier date so I could have had more time to extend it.


How would you grade yourself in the following areas (5 - excellent to 1 - poor):
    Attendance: 5
    Punctuality: 5
    Motivation: 4
    Commitment: 4
    Quantity of work: 3
    Quality of work: 4

    Commitment to the group: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment